During Pregnancy, When to Call Your Healthcare Provider
- Decrease Fetal Movement
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Abdominal Pain Persisting After Four Glasses of Water and Rest
- Trauma/Injury to the Abdomen
- Temperature Above 100.4°
- Persistent Headache after rest, fluids, and Tylenol
- Gush of Fluid from the Vagina
- A Cold/Flu Lasting More Than One Week – Call Primary Care Physician, or go to Urgent Care
- Uterine Contractions More Than Four Times Per Hour (Prior to 37 Weeks)
- Uterine Contractions 4-5 Minutes Apart and Strong Intensity for One Hour After 37 Weeks
- Do not go to the hospital before calling the nurse midwives
- The nurse midwives work at Alexian Brothers Medical Center. If you go to another hospital, they cannot take care of you there.
What Over the Counter Medication May I Take While in Labor
- Tylenol (Acetaminophen) 500 mg 1-2 tablets every 6 hours – for aches, pains, fever
- Colace (Docusate Sodium) 100mg twice daily – constipation, stool softener
- Anusal HC (Hydrocortisone cream) apply 2-4 time a day – hemorrhoids
- Robitussin (Guaifensin) 10ml to 20 ml every four to six hours as needed – cough
- Benadryl (Dipherhydramine) 25mg to 50mg every six hours as needed itching, rash, sleeplessness, allergic reactions, antihistamine
- Mylanta or Maalox after meals – acid reflux, antacids
- Sudafed (Pseudoephedrine) AFTER 14 WEEKS ONLY – nasal congestion
- Tums heartburn
- Vitamin B6 up to 50mg twice per day – nausea
- Unisom with Vitamin B6, if desired – CAUSES DROWSINESS – nausea at bedtime
- Do not go to the hospital before calling your provider.
- We only work out of Alexian Brothers Medical Center. If you go to another hospital, we cannot take care of you there.
What Medications To Avoid
- Aspirin/Advil/Motrin (Ibuprofen)
- Aleve (Naproxen)
Suggestions for Morning Sickness
- Starting from the time when you get up in the morning try to have something in your stomach (ex. crackers – the first minute you wake up).
- Eat small amounts frequently, chew gum
- May take Dramamine (dimenhydrinate), Vitamin B6 as directed